If you live in Wilmington, NC and your home has a crawl space, you need a way to control moisture levels inside. In crawl spaces with serious moisture issues, the best fix is typically a moisture barrier.
A moisture barrier or vapor barrier is a thin layer of polyethylene sheeting that lines the floor and walls of your crawl space in Wilmington, preventing moisture from getting inside. While installing a barrier might seem like a small step, it can have a big impact on your home…
Why Install a Moisture or Vapor Barrier?
1. Energy Efficiency. When you live in Wilmington, you depend on air conditioning during the summer months. But if your home is overly humid, your A/C will need to work extra hard to cool the air in your home. This not only inflates your electricity bill, but also reduces the lifespan of your cooling system.
2. Mold Growth. Crawl spaces with pervasive moisture are an ideal environment for harmful molds and other fungi. Not only is crawl space mold growth expensive to treat, it also pollutes the air inside the rest of your home with harmful mold spores.
3. Wood Rot. If load-bearing elements in your crawl space suffer wood rot, your home’s integrity could be at risk. In a best-case scenario, you’re looking at a hefty repair and remediation bill. And that’s only if you catch the damage in time.
4. Pipes & Wiring. With excess humidity, plumbing and electrical systems are at higher risk of leaks and shortages. Condensation can cause pipes to rust, which can lead to cracks and ruptures. If moisture gets into electrical wiring, it can trigger shortages and rust wires, creating serious electrical hazards.
5. Pest Infestations. On top of all the issues listed above, moisture in your crawl space can result in pest infestations. Disease-carrying pests, including mice and cockroaches, are big fans of damp and dark spaces. So are termites, which can cause untold damage to your home’s structure.
Moisture Barrier Installations in Wilmington, NC
At Crawlspace Medic®, we know the importance of controlling moisture in crawl spaces. Luckily for homeowners in Wilmington, we also offer a range of moisture control and remediation services to make this possible.
If you’re worried about moisture levels or the condition of an existing vapor barrier, we recommend booking a crawl space inspection with Crawlspace Medic in Wilmington. And if your crawl space doesn’t have a proper moisture barrier, we can help install one.
By choosing Crawlspace Medic, you’re assured high-quality workmanship and a durable, moisture-resistant barrier. We use 10 mm sheeting, which is 4 mm thicker than the sheeting used by most other installers. We also take pains to seal all seams, preventing vapor and moisture from sneaking into your crawl space.
Contact Crawlspace Medic® today at (910) 726-9424 to learn more about our moisture barrier installations in the Wilmington, NC area, including Leland, Southport, Castle Hayne, Hampstead, and Rocky Point.